Monday 7 April 2014

A lovely exercise

A First-Aid exercise, to chill out ... 

Close your eyes and relax (become aware of your breath, feel your body supported by your chair  and your feet on the ground, relax every sinew ...) then:

Imagine that the darkness you see with your eyes closed is actually an incredibly beautiful blue sky.  The loveliest of summer days, with just the faintest wisps of cloud.



As you're enjoying this remember that this isn't just a sky you're looking at, you're actually staring right up into space.  And its massive.

Become aware of your breathing again and start to breath that beautiful infinite space into your lungs.  

A few deep breaths and it starts to become part of you. It fills your chest and belly, warming you throughout.  Emotions dissolve in the enormity of the space you're creating inside yourself.  It fills your head and your thoughts evaporate in tiny wisps of cloud... 

... revert to normal breathing and stay with the image ...

Soon there'll be no difference between you and that infinite blue, except for a vague awareness of the translucent body you live in, a shimmering mirage of form suspended in the clear blue of that infinite space... a gossamer shell of transparency drifting on the whisper of a wind...


Enjoy

(don't forget to come back tho')

~ ~ ~


I devised this exercise when I was in need of some peace from a ridiculously busy mind last night - and it worked. It won't win the war but it'll help to keep the peace, so its a useful First-Aid-er.  I'll ask my meditation teacher this week where else we can go with this one.

It was devised from 2 things:
1) my mum's self-devised exercise in meditation (she's taken it up now ~ at the age of 90)
2) some key words my teacher used at my last session.  Notably: the notion of the vastness of the universe dwarfing one's emotions, and the idea of connecting oneself to that infinity.

I'll describe my mum's exercise in the next blog.  Its lovely! 

I too a beginner at meditation, I also really want to become a beginner in sculpture again, and I think this exercise may help this as well ~ in harnessing the subconscious ... losing the ego ... letting go.

More on this later too...

~ ~ ~

For more information on the Sculpture Courses I run go to: http://www.katenewlyn.com/