Saturday 12 July 2014

Crow High - Freedom

FREEDOM
Sculpture and Poem 
by Kate Newlyn ~ July 2014

A tumble of red roofs at dawn,
Rose tiled against a wakening sky,
Ribboned and ribbed
With finger-prints of vapour
Like the map of a child.

I live with birds now.
Free.
And though I've “heard them singing, each to each...” *
I have no doubt they'll also sing to me.

~ ~ ~

Over there, a fellow fledgling swallow
On a wire,
She'll learn to read these maps now too
And I shall follow.
Out of the mire,
The grey-ginnell'd,
Tunnel-tight, light-lack
At my back,
And into the gentle blue.

Here, crow-high,
I've learned to fly again,
And in the wide-sky'd innocence of dawn
I am re-born.


~ ~ ~

Footnote: * quotation taken from T.S Eliot's: The Lovesong of J. Alfred Prufrock  

I'll be publishing a book later on this year - a collection of sculptures and poems.
If you'd like to see a few of these images meanwhile though, go to my website: http://www.katenewlyn.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts and comments...