Friday 21 March 2014

Problem? what Problem?

would that it were this easy, but ...

"...The problem is all inside your head, she said to me..." (thank you Paul Simon)
And she was right.

A lot of the time we're just bowling along in life, feeling OK, no problems, everything going according to plan.  And then something happens to upset the apple-cart.  And then maybe something else follows, a bit too quickly afterwards... and then ... that "fine"-marker moves - without us really noticing.  

What happens then, when the next difficulties arises, is that we start reacting to it from a new starting point ... the anxiety levels have risen, but we don't really notice ... we start to worry ourselves into ridiculous states of tension, our tummies tighten into a constant knot, our activity levels rise, we keep busy to keep the worries and fears at bay, we stop sleeping well, eating well, we find ourselves feeling guilty about things we don't need to feel guilty about, stressing over things that may never happen.... that low-level state of tension (which isn't actually very low anymore) has become our new "normality" ... and so it goes on ...  rising and rising, til finally we pop!

I popped. 

It took 2 illnesses to realise I'd driven myself into the ground - with my eyes firmly closed, like a manic little mole.  And I'm only just beginning to surface. 

Meditation has been my greatest saviour.  I'm not there yet, but I'm definitely on my way.  So when stress hits me again I do a bit of this:  



But, I'm discovering now, through some different meditation exercises, that even these unpleasant moments can be conquered, (more of this later) 


~ ~ ~

To be honest I can't quite believe I'm saying (or writing) this ... I'm not a knit-your-own-yogurt type, or a born-again-guru-worshiper, but I have just discovered some fabulously effective techniques: secular, sane, sound, sensible - and they work. 

As many other people are finding now too.   

"Having recognised the health and cost benefits (of mindfulness therapy) some NHS trusts (in the UK) accept self-referrals, others accept referrals via GP's. The UK Mental Health Foundation, which has produced a list of some of the NHS-funded courses, estimates that as many as 30% of GP's now refer patients to mindfulness training". (Mia Hansson - The Guardian)

Its assumed that Mindfulness is part of Buddhist teaching, but although many of the exercises/techniques are rooted in Buddhism, the two are not interdependent. 

"Mindfulness is an aid to enhancing human potential by combining modern science with ancient wisdom" (The Oxford Mindfulness center)

Quick nap... ('cos its night, not cos I'm stressed - I don't think)


~ ~ ~

Nice clear morning (bloody long nap that)  

So where was I?  Oh yes, Problems...

Did you know that only 10% of our stress is due to what happens, the other 90 is due to how we think about what happens, past, present and future. 






More bonkers than that though, is the fact that a lot of our stress can actually be caused by things that don't actually exist.





Sculpture by Kate Newlyn http://www.katenewlyn.com/



Now that's just silly.


Time to learn how to return to base.



~ ~ ~

For more images of sculptures and details on Sculpture Courses go to: http://www.katenewlyn.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts and comments...